Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Black Jewels: Trilogy by Anne Bishop

This is truely three books in one... so I'll do this in three parts.  But I'll start it all off by saying I loved it all and can't wait to read the spin off books she's writen that come from this trilogy.  The three books together made a very big, very floppy book.  I would recommend buying them seperately if you don't mind spending a little more, it would be much easier to carry around.

Daughter of the Blood:
In this book you learn about Jaenelle (witch), and the complicated triangle that surrounds her.  In this book most of the main characters are introduced and we meet Jaenelle.  You grow to love her and want things to go well for her.  It's obvious that something isn't right with her home life but no one knows quite what it is.  At the end of the first book she is broken and the triangle is broken as well. 

Heir to the Shadows:
The second book is centered around trying to get the triangle back together.  Everything is dependent upon that happening.  In this book you get to see more about Jaenelle and her friends and the power that they possess.   It was difficult to have Daemon missing for most of this book, he was such an important part to the first book.  The triangle never does reform completely in this book, but they are often talked about. 

Queen of the Darkness:
After Jaenelle makes the offering to darkness she becomes more powerful then anyone would have imagined.  The only thing missing is Daemon.  There are battles and strained friendships in this book.  Jaenelle has to make a decision on how to save all of the Blood, and doing so could kill her. Daemon reappears sometime in the book, after he reappears we get to deal with their sexual tension, it almost makes you wish he hadn't reappeared.  The book ends semihappy, the blood is saved but you don't really know what exactly has happened to Jaenelle.  I would have been happy with the way it ended had I not read online that there is another book that ties it up a bit better. 

Oh the joy of reading series.  Now I have a few more books to read before I will feel like I've got enough.  I love the characters and the world, it's strange to like something that is so dark.  And it's strange to think of people that possess such dark magic as being good.  It really is strange the way it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment