Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Once again I did that silly thing where I stay up WAY to late reading a book.  This one really struck a chord with me, it was kind of like God was telling me to read this book and learn from it.  I picked it up at Costco not really knowing what it was about but felt like I needed to read it.  I have had a few different signs from him in the last couple years, signs that remind me how important forgiving others is.  After all he has forgiven me for my sins, why is it so hard for me to I do the same?

This book was happy and sad, predictable but good.  I have read a few reviews where people kind of bash on Nicholas Sparks for following the same formula in most of his books.  I suppose is kind of true but it works and he weaves peoples lives in such a way that I really don't care.  I love getting to know the characters and feeling like I know them.  So far his books have always made me cry, but it's worth it to have those feelings and learn from it.  And for the record, the only books of his I have read were very different.  Maybe they are similar when made into movies, I don't know, but the books were certainly different stories.

I always try to put up the book cover of the book I actually read, in this instance I really wish I hadn't read one that had the movie picture on it.  From all the reviews I've read it sounds like they really butchered what was important to the story in the movie.  I'm okay with changing a few things up, but it sounds like they took most of God (and the preacher) out of the movie, and they really were the most important thing to me in the book.  From what I can tell they took most of the important things out to increase the romance between Ronnie and Will.  Sure that's important in the book too, but it really isn't what made the story, at least not for me and most people that have read and watched it.

I really liked the book and learned from it.  It was worth it to me to stay up and finish it, even if I am a bit tired today.

No comments:

Post a Comment